AMPEL is host to a pair of workshops – the professional Machine Shop contains CNC mills and lathes, while the Graduate Workshop is a prototype facility. Both Shops are overseen by a Supervisor, Harish Gautam. The Machine Shop is currently dedicated primarily to support researchers in the Quantum Matter Institute, but other AMPEL researchers can request small jobs be done by Mr. Gautam on a cost-recovery basis.
The Graduate Workshop is co-sponsored by AMPEL and SBQMI and is intended for use by qualified AMPEL and SBQMI graduate students, faculty and staff. As of July 2014, light use of the Graduate Workshop is free of charge (users must provide their own materials), but moderate or heavy use requires appropriate contributions from a supporting research group or administrative unit.
Brimacombe Building, 2355 East Mall
- Machine Shop: Room 125
- Small Tools Shop: Room 124b (main floor, west of the high head area)
HOURS OF OPERATION
Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM weekdays
Manager: Harish Gautam
Office: AMPEL 125
Phone: (604) 827-4096
Hours: Manager’s current weekly hours are posted on the office door
MACHINE SHOP: (Room No- 125 – Restricted)
- Machine Shop is located in AMPEL Room No-125 – Access Restricted
- (CNC) TM-1 Tool Room Milling Machine
- (CNC) TL-1 Tool Room Lathe
- Master Cam Software & solid works
- Lathe Machines-02
- Bridgeport Milling Machine
- Drill Press
- Flex-arm taping Machine
- Band Saw Horizontal
- Band Saw vertical
- Bench Grinder
- Variety of Hand Tools
GRADUATE WORKSHOP: (Room No- 124B)
- Rapid Prototype shop:(Room No-124B High head)
- Micro CNC drilling machine
- Water-jet Machine
- Pneumatics Press
- 10″ Miter Saw
- 6″ Joiner
- Drill Press
- Bench Grinder
- Diamonds saw cutter
- Welding set
JOB SUBMISSION PROCEDURE FOR MACHINE SHOP
Contact Harish Gautam directly, in Room 125, between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM weekdays.
GRADUATE WORKSHOP ACCESS
- prospective user and their supervisor sign the appropriate machine shop waiver form and give it to Harish Gautam. NOTE: there are separate waiver forms for Graduate Students and users other than UBC Graduate Students.
- prospective user arranges a time when Harish Gautam can conduct for them the Graduate Workshop Orientation
- prospective user arranges a time when Harish Gautam can qualify them on the various tools they wish to use in the Graduate Workshop. Mr. Gautam will keep a record of each user’s qualification status using the Tool Clearance Checklist. Note that it is up to the prospective users to acquire the training required to demonstrate competency to safely and effectively use the relevant tools.
ONGOING FACILITY ACCESS:
Users (a minimum of two qualified users must be present in the shop at all times) contact Harish Gautam to sign in and sign out of the Graduate Workshop between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM weekdays. Note: advance notice of plans to access the Graduate Workshop will minimize frustrating delays. All users must be familiar with and follow the Safety Guidelines at all times. Noncompliance will result in access penalties.