Multi – User Research Facilities
Central facilities in AMPEL are managed by a small group of research engineers, research associates, with technical support mainly from the central machine and electronics shops of the participating departments in the faculties of Science and Applied Science. Regular workshops and introductory courses are provided for the users. Users are supported and trained in the use of facilities by the facility managers. Outside users are welcome! The basic philosophy is that users should be able to carry out their own projects hereby also learning first hand about the possibilities as well as the limitations of modern techniques.
The central facilities consist of:
- Surface and Interface Analysis Laboratory with various forms of electron and ion beam spectroscopy.
- High head area for process engineering experiments. The high head area provides laboratory space for large scale experiments such as casting of metals and alloys, preparation of ceramics, plasma spray oxide coatings, fluidization, and a steel run out mill.
- Nanofabrication and Cleanroom facility with apparatus for electron beam and optical lithography, thin film coating methods, electronic device fabrication.
- Machine Shop facility (co-sponsored by ICICS), consisting of an NC-equipped Machine Shop and a Small Tools Shop with versatile modelmaking capabilities.
- Metallurgical materials testing laboratory with facilities.
- Electron microscopy facility with scanning electron microscopes, transmission electron microscopes.
- Thin film growth by molecular beam epitaxy, pulsed laser deposition, sputtering and plasma spray.